A school council is group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and to improve their school. 'School council' means all kinds of school-based groups run by students. In our school, the School Council is a mixture of children from Year 1 and Year 2, who are voted for by children within their class.
During September and October, children in our KS1 classes have been learning about what a school council is and taking part in a range of fun activities that helped them develop their understanding of how we can vote for children to be representatives on our school council. Children from our Foundation Stage classes will join the School Council later on in the academic year.
Through this work around the school council, we are enabling children to:
• Have the opportunity to let adults know their feelings and opinions about things that affect them
• Have a say about decisions, and to play an active role in making their school a better place
• Develop life skills through participation and co-operation
• Enjoy and feel empowered by their education
• Feel that their school responds to their needs and views
This year our school councillors will also become our eco warriors to help us as we work towards making our school more environmentally friendly. We hope to achieve the eco-schools award by the end of the year.
Our new members have now been voted for and decided! Find below pictures of our very excited new school council for 2020/2021.